Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Dec 12 at 16:50 PM

Two goals and a David James penalty save in the space of three first half minutes helped the Cherries to a 2-1 win over Scunthorpe.

Lewis Grabban opened the scoring at Glanford Park when he tapped in from close range before James turned away Mike Grella’s spot kick two minutes later.

Wes Fogden extended the lead 59 seconds later after he saw his block loop over Steve Mildenhall.

James made a fine reflex save to keep out Damien Mozika at the start of the second half, but was finally beaten by Karl Hawley from 12 yards out after the Irons had been awarded a second penalty.

In the end, the Cherries withstood the late pressure from the hosts to make it 12 games unbeaten in all competitions.

With Shwan Jalal and Harry Arter picking up injuries in training, James returned in goal, while Eunan O’Kane kept his place in the starting line-up.

They may have one of the worst home records in the league, but Scunthorpe created the first chance of the afternoon. Hawley collected Grella’s low cross at the near post and smashed his shot straight at James from close range.

The England international then made a double save to prevent the Irons taking the lead. First, he palmed away Andy Barcham’s effort from the edge of the area before blocking Hawley’s follow-up.

However, it was the Cherries who took the lead in the 26th minute through Grabban. The striker reacted quickest to tap home the rebound after Brett Pitman had seen his header acrobatically saved by Mildenhall.

Brian Law’s team had the perfect chance to put themselves on level less than two minutes later as referee Scott Duncan pointed to the spot after Tommy Elphick handled in the area. But James dived to his right to 
push away Grella’s penalty in front of the travelling supporters.

The Cherries then went down the other end and doubled their lead when Fogden saw his block loop over the Irons keeper. The winger charged down Mark McChrystal’s to score his second in as many games.

Pitman had a glancing saved on the stroke of half-time as Scunthorpe headed into the break to the sound of boos from the home supporters.

Howe’s team looked like they were firmly in control at the start of the second period, but they once again had James to thank for keeping their two-goal lead intact.

The goalkeeper produced another fine reflex save to keep out Damien Mokia as the Irons searched for a way back into the game.

And they did eventually pull one back as Hawley squeezed a penalty past James with just under half an hour to play. The striker found the back of the net from 12 yards after Shaun MacDonald had been penalised for a handball.

The goal set up a tense finale and Pitman went close to scoring a third for the Cherries when he forced a good save from Mildenhall.

Scunthorpe captain Tom Newey hit the side-netting in the dying stages, but neither he nor his team-mates could prevent the Cherries moving up to ninth in the League One table.

Cherries: James, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Fogden (Partington, 88), O’Kane, MacDonald, Pugh (McQuoid, 74), Pitman, Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Buchel, McDermott, Tubbs, Demouge, Fletcher.

Booked: O’Kane, Daniels.

Goals: Grabban (26), Fogden (30).

Scunthorpe: Mildenhall, Ribeiro, Canavan, McChrystal, Newey, Ryan (Djeziri, 90), Mozika, Duffy, Grella (Wootton, 83), Barcham (Collins, 76), Hawley.

Unused substitutes: Slocombe, Kennedy, Gibbons, Hughes.

Goal: Hawley (63 pen).

Booked: McChrystal.

Attendance: 2, 785 (168 Cherries supporters).

    Latest Match Reports