Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Nov 12 at 21:39 PM

Early goals from Charlie Daniels and Josh McQuoid helped the Cherries to a win over Shrewsbury.Daniels found the net inside three minutes with a free-kick before the in-form McQuoid headed in a second.

Matt Richards kept the Shrews in the game with a penalty in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand, but the result was rarely in doubt.

The Cherries could have scored more had it not been for Chris Weale, who made a number of fine reflex saves. The goalkeeper kept out Lewis Grabban in the first half and Harry Arter either side of the break.

The result means the Cherries have moved up to 12th in the League One table and taken ten points from a possible 12 since manager Eddie Howe’s return.

Howe made three changes to the team that saw off Dagenham & Redbridge last weekend, recalling David James, Miles Addison and Lee Barnard to the starting line-up. 

But it was one of Saturday’s starters who got the hosts off to a perfect start, with Daniels smashing a free-kick under the wall and beyond Weale in the Shrewsbury goal.

And it was two just minutes later. McQuoid met Marc Pugh’s cross for his fourth goals in as many games after Lee Barnard had side-footed against the post.

It was shaping up to be a lively contest, and, down the other end, Jeremy Helan volleyed narrowly over as Graham Turner’s side tried to find a way back into the game.

And they did pull one back after 14 minutes as captain Richards found the side-netting with a cool penalty. Referee Trevor Kettle pointed to the spot after Addison was adjudged to have brought down Marvin Morgan.

However, the hosts were soon on the front foot once again, and a clever corner routine ended with Weale making a smart stop from Simon Francis’ long range effort.

The Shrews ‘keeper kept out Pugh shortly afterwards, saving the winger’s header with his feet and then watched on as he rolled the follow up just wide.

The visitors had their resilient stopper to thank again on the half hour mark. Weale turned away a close range shot from Grabban and a fierce strike from Arter as the Cherries pushed for a third goal.

And some of the home crowd thought they had done just that when Francis found the side-netting with a powerful effort, but it flew narrowly passed the post.

Both teams had late chances through Richards and Grabban, while Pugh also went close, but the Cherries headed into the break a goal up as Kettle brought an end to a pulsating 45 minutes.

Howe’s side clearly weren’t prepared to sit back after the half-time team talks. Grabban guided a header over, while it took a fine save from Weale to keep out Arter.

Shrewsbury began to enjoy their best spell of possession ten minutes into the second half, but never really troubled James. Striker Jamie Proctor did put the ball in the back of the net but he was flagged offside after being played in.

The game was failing to live up to the excitement of the first half, but Arter saw a shot parried away having been teed up by substitute Wes Fogden. It appeared it would take something special to beat Weale for a 
third time.

The Cherries finished the stronger of the two teams, with chances falling to Addison and Daniels, and claimed all three points in assured fashion.

Cherries: James, Francis, Addison, Elphick, Daniels, McQuoid (Tubbs, 84), Arter, MacDonald, Pugh, Grabban, Barnard (Fogden, 66).

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Cook, McDermott, O’Kane, Fletcher.

Goals: Daniels (3), McQuoid (6).

Booked: Arter, Elphick.

Shrewsbury: Weale, Grandison, Collins, Jones, Bennett, Taylor, Richards (Hall, 84), Wildig, Helan, Morgan, Proctor (Parry, 75).

Unused substitutes: Anyon, Jacobson, Purdle, Wright, Summerfield.

Goal: Richards (pen, 14).

Booked: Bennett, Collins, Morgan.

Attendance: 5, 022 (135 Shrewsbury supporters).

    Latest Match Reports