Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:39 PM

Manager Eddie Howe started his second spell in charge with a win over top of the table Tranmere.

Howe’s side were a goal down at half-time after Jake Jervis broke the deadlock, but they produced a spirited comeback to record back-to-back home wins.

Ben Gibson nodded Marc Pugh’s cross beyond his own keeper before Harry Arter thumped the ball past Owain Fon Williams.

Simon Francis added a third with his first goal for the club 18 minutes from time. The full-back drilled the ball home from 25 yards after being teed up by substitute Matt Tubbs.

The result was just rewards for a determined and dynamic performance from the hosts.

While there were no real clear-cut chances in the opening 15 minutes, the Cherries looked full of energy and purpose, and put together a couple of slick counter attacks.

Charlie Daniels burst forward and beat the Rovers full-back for pace, but couldn’t find Pugh or Lee Barnard with his cross in the pick of the early attacks.

However, the first real chance of the afternoon fell to Jervis. The on loan striker found himself unmarked at the back post and forced David James into a smart save with a volley from close range.

The game sparked into life with half an hour played, and Barnard had a glancing header tipped over the bar before Adam McGurk saw his speculative effort fly just over.

The visitors took the lead just before half-time through Jervis. Jake Cassidy got behind the defence and picked out his strike partner who found the back of the net with an improvised finish.

Howe’s side responded with a header from Lewis Grabban and Harry Arter tried luck from distance, but went into the break a goal down.

But it took them just six second half minutes to get themselves back on level terms as Pugh’s inswinging free-kick was deflected past Owain Fon Williams.

There was some confusion over who got the final touch and it was eventually credited as a Gibson own goal, and it proved to be the catalyst for a pulsating final 40 minutes.

Barnard chased a lost cause and teed up Pugh, who sent in a crashing drive which was pushed away by the Rovers ‘keeper.

But Fon Williams couldn’t stop the Cherries completing their comeback as Arter collected the loose ball on the edge of the area and smashed the ball home.

And it could have been three just moments later when the ball fell to McQuoid at the back post, but he couldn’t find the corner of the net with his curling effort.

Before Rovers could restart play with a goal kick, Grabban limped off with a nasty looking ankle injury and was replaced by Tubbs.

Francis made sure of all three points when he extended the Cherries’ lead with a powerful effort from distance. The full-back had waited almost a year for his first goal in Bournemouth colours but it was worth it, as he found the net with a spectacular finish.

Howe’s men saw the game out in assured fashion and there was time for Donal McDermott to replace McQuoid after scoring twice in the midweek Hampshire Senior Cup win.

James made a good save late on to keep out Cassidy as Tranmere put together a spell of pressure.

Cherries: James, Francis, Addison, Elphick, Daniels, Grabban (Tubbs, 63), Arter (Partington, 80), MacDonald, Pugh, McQuoid (McDermott, 86), Barnard.

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Cook, O’Kane, Fletcher.

Booked: Francis, Arter, Pugh, Partington, Daniels.

Goal: Gibson o.g. (53), Arter (58), Francis (72).

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Palmer, Wallace, Cassidy, McGurk, Bakayogo, Gibson, Bell-Baggie (Thompson, 89), Jervis (Black, 72).

Unused substitutes: Harrison, Stockton, Power, Kay, Mooney.

Goal: Jervis (39).

Booked: Bakayogo.

Attendance: 6,233 (351 Tranmere supporters).

    Latest Match Reports