Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:39 PM

The Cherries beat Leyton Orient to record their first win of the season in front of returning boss Eddie Howe.

Howe, along with assistant Jason Tindall, watched on from the directors’ box as his new charges scored two goals in quick succession to claim all three points at the Goldsands Stadium.

Lewis Grabban got the final touch on Simon Francis’ inswinging corner to opening the scoring before Marc Pugh rounded Ryan Allsopp to double the Cherries’ lead.

The result was just rewards for the hosts who dominated possession throughout and created the better opportunities.

Caretaker manager Dennis Rofe made one change to the starting line-up from last weekend’s defeat at Coventry, drafting in Eunan O’Kane in place of Josh Carmichael.

Former Cherries pair Michael Symes and Mathieu Baudry were named in the Orient squad. Symes partnered Scott Wagstaff up front, while Baudry had to make do with a place on the bench.

There were a few more familiar faces in the stands. Brett Pitman, Marvin Bartley and Scott Malone all returned to the south coast to watch their former team-mates in the absence of Championship fixtures this weekend.

On the pitch, Shaun MacDonald stabbed an early effort wide, while Symes, signed by Howe in the summer of 2010, went close to scoring in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand.

The former Accrington striker collected a loose ball 25 yards from goal and attempted to lob goalkeeper David James, only to see his effort fly narrowly over.

The Cherries began to dominate possession and forced a number of corners as they piled on the pressure midway through the first half.

Lee Barnard glanced a raking cross field pass wide before MacDonald sent O’Kane one-on-one with Allsopp, but the summer signing couldn’t find a way past the Orient ‘keeper to round off the swift counter attack.

Rofe was forced into his first substitution of the afternoon shortly before half-time after Richard Hughes pulled up with a hamstring injury.

Barnard forced Allsopp into a save after a smart turn and shot as he looked to beat the ‘keeper at the near post early on in the second half.

The Cherries supporters were convinced their side deserved a penalty just before the hour mark when O’Kane went down under pressure in the penalty box but referee Steve Martin turned down the appeals.

But they didn’t have to wait too long to celebrate a goal from the home team, as Francis’ cross found its way into the net via a deflection.

The goal was initially credited to the full-back, but Grabban appeared to get the last touch on the dangerous delivery.

Just moments later Pugh made it two, capitalising on a loose back pass before rounding the O’s goalkeeper. The winger was left with a simple finishing as he tapped the ball into an empty net.

Former Orient full-back saw a powerful volley blocked on the edge of the area and captain Miles Addison almost added a third with a close range header, as the Cherries finished the game strongly.

Only a spectacular save prevented Daniels adding his name to the scoresheet, but it was Howe's name on the supporters' lips as Martin blew the final whistle.

Cherries: James, Francis, Elphick, Addison, Daniels, Hughes (Davids, 44), MacDonald, O’Kane, Pugh, Grabban, Barnard.

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Cook, Partington, McQuoid, Tubbs, Demouge.

Leyton Orient: Allsopp, Sawyer, Chorley, Clarke, McSweeney, Cox, Griffith, Cook (Odubajo, 68), Rowlands, Wagstaff (Mooney, 81), Symes (Brunt, 68).

Substitutes: Baudry, Smith, Laird, James.

Attendance: 5, 715 (499 Leyton Orient supporters).

    Latest Match Reports