Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:38 PM

Brentford grab a point at the Goldsands.

The Cherries were held to a draw in an entertaining encounter with Brentford at the Goldsands Stadium.

The hosts fell behind after Simon Francis inadvertently glanced the ball into his own net, but two goals in ten first-half minutes from Matt Tubbs and Charlie Daniels put them in front.

Tubbs, who had scored a last minute equaliser against Hartlepool four days earlier, went close to adding a third before substitute Harry Forrester curled the ball beyond Shwan Jalal 20 minutes from time.

Manager Paul Groves made four changes to his starting line-up from the weekend, and handed Tubbs his first league start of the campaign.

The Cherries made a lively start to the game, and after Tubbs had put in a couple of dangerous crosses, Lewis Grabban sent in the first meaningful effort of the evening with a low-drive from distance.

However, the Bees took the lead with just under ten minutes on the clock as Francis appeared to get the final touch on Adam Forshaw’s deep centre to nod the ball beyond Shwan Jalal.

Uwe Rsoler’s side could have extended the lead after Jonathan Douglas found himself unmarked at the back post but he couldn’t pick out a team-mate with his header back across the face of goal.

The opening quarter of an hour had been far from dull, and the Cherries were ahead just ten minutes later.

First, Tubbs darted to the near post to meet Francis’ pinpoint cross and power his header past Moore for second goal in two games.

Then, Charlie Daniels opened his account for the season from the penalty spot after former Brentford man Grabban had been brought down by the Bees ‘keeper.

Both Marc Pugh and Grabban went within inches of adding to the Cherries’ total before half-time, but they had to settle for a one goal advantage at the break.

The second period was shaping up to be as eventful as the first, and both sides had chances to score shortly after the interval.

It took a superb reflex save from Moore and a brave block to stop Francis and Eunan O’kane from scoring a third for the hosts, while Farid El Alagui volleyed over from just inside the penalty area. 

Brentford were enjoying plenty of possession and captain Miles Addison kept the Bees at bay with a couple of timely interceptions before substitute Harry Forrester sent a wicked shot just past Jalal’s left-hand post.

It was Forrester who got a deserved equaliser for the Londoners, again cutting in from the right and this time finding the net with an unstoppable effort.

Groves sent on Josh McQuoid for the final 15 minutes, and his strike partner Tubbs had two great chances to find a late winner.

The former Crawley man went one-on-one with Moore in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand, only to have his shot blocked by the ‘keeper and then go within inches of getting a crucial touch on O’Kane’s inswinging 

Joe Partington rounded off a slick passing move that involved McQuoid and Wes Fogden by hitting the post with a placed finish from the edge of the area.

Neither seemed content with a draw, both pushing for a decisive goal in the dying stages, but it was all square as referee Oliver Langford blew the full-time whistle.

    Latest Match Reports