Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:38 PM

Last gasp leveller for Cherries

Striker Matt Tubbs came off the bench to earn the Cherries a point at the Goldsands Stadium.

Hartlepool had taken the lead 17 minutes from time through Simon Walton’s penalty, but Tubbs struck in injury time with a close-range effort to extend Paul Grove’s side unbeaten home record.

The Cherries dominated possession and created the better chances on a hot afternoon on the south coast, and Tubbs’ late leveller was just rewards for a patient performance.

Joe Partington was the sole change to the starting line-up that claimed all three points at Yeovil seven days ago, the 22-year-old replaced the in-form but injured Richard Hughes.

Hartlepool created little in a tense opening 45 minutes, and neither Walton or Jonathan Franks could trouble Shwan Jalal with their long-range efforts.

At the other end, Shaun MacDonald guided crosses from Harry Arter and Simon Francis wide of the target as the Cherries looked the more likely side to opening scoring.

Groves’ men were enjoying plenty of possession and patiently set about creating the first clear-cut opportunity of the afternoon.

Wes Fogden saw his downward header land on the roof of the net, before Josh McQuoid went close late on in the first-half.

The summer signing darted to the near post to meet Arter’s inswinging corner but couldn’t force his effort beyond Scott Flinders.

The Cherries emerged from the changing rooms unchanged and with greater urgency following the half-time team-talks, and McQuoid had his curling shot saved just moments after the break.

Groves wasted little time in making his first substitutions of the afternoon, sending on Marc Pugh and Charlie Daniels less than ten minutes into the second period.

The changes seemed to spark his side into life, and it took a brave block to prevent Grabban finding the net as the hosts began to pile on the pressure.

Pugh was inches away from putting the Cherries in front and opening his account for the season, as he curled his shot just wide.

Tubbs was introduced 20 minutes from time but Hartlepool took the lead from the penalty spot through Walton.

Evan Horwood burst into the area on a rare Pools attack and referee Fred Graham pointed to the spot after the midfielder had been brought down by MacDonald.

The Cherries responded quickly, and both Grabban and Tubbs should have put them back on level terms.

Grabban was denied by a fine reflex save, only for Tubbs to head the rebound wide in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand.

But the Cherries’ patience paid off in injury-time as Tubbs poked the ball beyond Flinders to claim a deserved point.

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Elphick, Addison, Cook (Daniels, 53), Partington, Arter (Pugh, 53), MacDonald, Fogden, Grabban, McQuoid (Tubbs, 66).

Unused substitutes: Collins, Zubar, O’Kane, Thomas.

Booked: MacDonald.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Baldwin, Collins, Hartley, Horwood, Franks (Poole, 73), Sweeney (Lynch, 83), Murray, Walton, Monkhouse, Howard.

Unused substitutes: Humphreys, Richards, Holden, Lynch, McHugh, James.

Booked: Sweeney.

    Latest Match Reports