Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:38 PM

Hughes strike seals win at Huish Park

The Cherries were firmly in control throughout and fully deserved their first win of the season in front of almost 1,500 travelling supporters.

Lewis Grabban, Wes Fogden and Shaun MacDonald all had chances to extend the lead, but, in the end, Hughes’ stunning free-kick ten minutes before half-time proved to be the difference.

Both teams would have felt they should have taken an early lead. Fogden fired over from ten yards after being played in by Josh McQuoid, while Sam Foley skipped past a couple of Cherries defenders before dragging his shot just wide inside the first five minutes.

After a lively start, the Cherries began to dominate possession with Harry Arter pulling the strings, even impressing Gillette Soccer Saturday pundit Iain Dowie in the Sky Sports studios.

MacDonald went close to scoring against the club he spent two loan spells with before moving to the Goldsands Stadium 12 months ago, but saw his shot from the edge of the area go just over the crossbar.

The Cherries’ patience paid off ten minutes before half-time as Hughes put the visitors in front with a smashing free-kick.

The 33-year-old powered the ball beyond Marek Stech from 20 yards for his first goal in Bournemouth colours in over ten years after McQuoid had been brought down by defender Byron Webster.

Glovers manager Gary Johnson was clearly unhappy with his team’s first-half showing and made a double change two minutes before the break, sending on Gozie Ugwu and Rohan Ince.

Johnson’s substitution seemed to spark Yeovil into life, and Shwan Jalal was tested by Luke Ayling from 25 yards moments later.

But the Cherries finished the half strongly, with McQuoid and Miles Addison both going close to doubling the advantage.

Yeovil emerged from the changing rooms with more fight after the half-time team-talks, but, again, the Cherries had the better chances.

Fogden and MacDonald were both denied by Stech, while Grabban smashed an effort into the side-netting on the hour mark.

The former Cherries ‘keeper also had to be alert to keep out McQuoid and Grabban as they tried their luck from range.

The search for a second goal went on as substitute Wes Thomas missed the target from a narrow angle, and Marc Pugh was sent on as Groves’ final replacement.

Yeovil rallied in the final ten minutes but couldn’t stop the Cherries celebrating a comfortable victory at the final whistle.

    Latest Match Reports