Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 09 May 12 at 08:30 AM

Tom Crocker reports from Dean Court

In a quiet first half, Jalal tipped a Max Ehmer shot around the post in the closest either side came to scoring, with the Cherries failing to test the Preston keeper Arestidou despite a lot of pressure. Bournemouth came out in the same vain and took the lead after Donal McDermott was fouled by Luke Clark, allowing Daniels to rifle in his first Seward Stadium goal. Steve Fletcher and Josh Wakefield were introduced in the second half as the Cherries saw out the win with minimal fuss.

Paul Groves named an unchanged starting eleven from that which drew at Scunthorpe last week but there were changes to the bench. Well, one change anyway but that was a notable one with club legend Steve Fletcher returning from his loan spell at Plymouth with Zavon Hines missing out.

Cherries started brightly and created an opportunity in the opening minute. Lyle Taylor took it upon himself to charge at the Preston defence and he beat three before blazing over.

Bournemouth continued to probe and had another shot on goal after Marc Pugh brilliantly controlled a long diagonal pass from Shaun MacDonald. The winger cut onto his left foot but curled wide of the goal from just outside the area.

It took the visitors twenty minutes to shoot in anger towards Shwan Jalal's goal. Skipper Paul Coutts ducked inside a challenge from MacDonald and aimed for the bottom corner but dragged his shot wide.

There was a lengthy stoppage midway through the half as Miles Addison received treatment for a wrist injury but the big defender soldiered on with a bandage around his left hand.

That didn't disrupt Bournemouth's flow, however, as Donal McDermott made a dart towards the box. The tricky winger, who netted his first goal since returning to the south coast last week, cleverly picked out Pugh on the right but the supporters', players' and vice chairman's player of the season fired wide.

The Cherries continued to crank up the pressure as the half wore on with Thomas shooting just over from twenty yards before Marc Pugh's effort was batted away by Arestidou at his near post.

Despite being relatively untroubled for most of the half, Jalal showed he was still alert, pulling off a fine save in stoppage time. After some good passing across the edge of the box, the ball came to Max Ehmer who curled towards the bottom corner but Jalal turned it round the post.

Just as happened in the first half, Lyle Taylor found space to get forwards. The striker, still seeking his first League One goal, cut onto his left foot but his shot was blocked. The danger was not over there however, as the ball spun out towards Donal McDermott. The Irishman appeared to be going nowhere but Luke Clark slid brought down the winger giving the Cherries a spot kick. Up stepped Charlie Daniels who fired in his first Seward Stadium goal, hitting the penalty straight down the middle.

The fans' delight grew even more on the hour mark as Paul Groves made a double switch. Donal McDermott and Lyle Taylor both put in a good shift during the hour they were on and they were replaced by youngster Josh Wakefield and veteran Steve Fletcher.

    Latest Match Reports