Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 02 Apr 12 at 11:51 AM

Match report: Cherries 0-0 Yeovil

Tom Crocker reports from Seward Stadium:

Tom Crocker

Goalkeeper Sam Walker pulled off numerous fine stops to deny AFC Bournemouth the victory against Yeovil Town at the Seward Stadium this afternoon.

Shaun Cooper, Steve Cook and Wes Thomas all tested the Glovers stopper in the first half whilst Scott Malone came so close to a winner with a stoppage time free kick. The visitors did create opportunities on the counter attack with Andy Williams striking the bar after chipping Darryl Flahavan but goalless was how it would finish.

Paul Groves named an unchanged eleven from that which drew at Stevenage on Tuesday night but there were a couple of changes to the bench. Midfielders Wes Fogden (illness) and Donal McDermott (dead leg) both returned to the squad with Lyle Taylor and Adam Barrett missing out.

It was clear from the early stages that the Cherries were doing all they could to pass the ball out from the back and they were keeping possession well but without any shots on goal in the first ten minutes.


That statistic changed in the thirteenth minute following patient build-up play in midfield. Harry Arter sprayed a fantastic cross-field pass to Marc Pugh after receiving possession from a Zavon Hines flick on. Pugh then beat his man and stood up a cross to the back post where Wes Thomas arrived but could only head just wide.

A fortuitous deflection led to goalkeeper Sam Walker being called into action for the first time on 19 minutes. Shaun Cooper seized on a loose ball headed away by the Yeovil defence and took up the chants of "shoot" from the crowd and nearly got lucky as the ball looped towards goal but Walker tipped it over. Steve Cook then fired over from the resulting corner.

Then came the first opportunity for the Glovers. A long kick from Sam Walker eventually fell to Dominic Blizzard in midfield who knocked the ball towards Andy Williams. The in-form striker got a run on Miles Addison and was one-on-one with Flahavan but could only find the top of the crossbar as he flicked the ball over the onrushing keeper.


As the game approached the half hour mark the Cherries themselves created a one-on-one. A superb long distance ball from Steve Cook found Harry Arter in space on the right. The midfielder did brilliantly to control the ball out of the sky and fed in Wes Thomas but his low shot was denied by the outstretched arm of Walker.

Steve Cook was the next to trouble the busy Yeovil stopper as his search for a first Bournemouth goal goes on. The defender rose highest from a Marc Pugh corner and headed towards goal but Walker did well to tip it over the crossbar.

It was Gary Johnson's men who created the first chance after the break when Williams found space in the area and aimed towards the far corner but Flahavan got down well to hold his shot.

Back came the Cherries and a moment of magic from Zavon Hines nearly broke the deadlock. The Burnley loanee twisted his way past three Yeovil defenders and tried his luck from a tight angle but Walker was equal to the task.

Paul Groves decided a formation change was required on the hour mark so introduced Donal McDermott to play just off the main striker. Zavon Hines was the man sacrificed to leave Wes Thomas as the lone striker.

Good work from Marc Pugh down the left helped Scott Malone come close to adding to his midweek strike. The ball fell nicely to the former Wolves man and he took the ball on his chest before arrowing a shot narrowly wide of the post.


Steven Gregory was introduced in place of Shaun MacDonald who left the field with applause from all sections of the crowd following his loan spells with the Glovers in the past three years. But moments later Yeovil nearly took the lead. A deep cross was met by Lawson D'Ath who headed towards the bottom corner but Steve Cook got back to scramble the ball off the line and keep the scores level.

With five minutes remaining it looked as though the deadlock was about to be broken. Numerous crosses were cleared throughout the second half and when Marc Pugh crossed towards Wes Fogden at the back post it looked as though the Cherries may suffer the same fate. However, Foggy managed meet the cross and powerfully headed back towards the top corner. With the ball looking like it may nestle in the net, Chelsea loanee Sam Walker used his entire 6ft 6 frame to flick the ball over the crossbar.

The Cherries created two chances late on as Scott Malone called Sam Walker into a fine low stop from a curling 25 yard free kick before Wes Thomas blazed wide from the resulting corner.

Paul Groves now has a week to prepare his side for a tricky looking trip to Sheffield United.

AFC Bournemouth: Flahavan (c); Francis, Addison, Cook, Malone; Arter (Fogden 77), Cooper, MacDonald (Gregory 68), Pugh; Thomas, Hines (McDermott 60)

Subs not used: Jalal, Zubar

Yeovil Town: Walker; Ayling, Huntington (c), Hinds, Morris; Franks, Upson, Blizzard, D'Ath; Obika, Williams

Subs not used: Stewart, N'Gala, Haynes-Brown, Woods, Agard

Yellow Card: Walker (dissent, 90+2)

Attendance: 6,170 (inc. 814 away)

    Latest Match Reports