Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 at 19:15 PM


Grant Payne reporting from Dean Court;

Substitute Kevin Smith scored a dramatic equaliser deep into stoppage time as Notts County came from 3 goals down to grab a 3-3 draw against Bournemouth at Dean Court.

Eddie Howe's team showed no ill effects from losing Brett Pitman early on and took the lead after just 3 minutes.

A long ball from Shaun Cooper was headed up and controlled by Michael Symes who was strong to beat his man; the ball fell to Josh McQuoid who hooked home from just outside the 6 yard box for his second goal of the season.

The Cherries continued their barn storming start and nearly doubled their lead after just 6 minutes from a set piece.

The influential Marc Pugh was brought down 25 yards out and he stepped up himself to curl a great effort that just clipped the top of the bar.

It wasn't until half way through the first half that County had their first real chance of the match; Ben Davies playing in Ben Burgess who could only fire over under pressure from the edge of the box.

And with 20 minutes to go before the break Bournemouth doubled their lead and it was McQuoid again who showed coolness in front of goal.

Bartley played the ball back to Shwan Jalal who fired a raking ball up-field that beat the two County central defenders and McQuoid with his entire pace got away and calmly dinked the ball over the advancing Stuart Nelson.

Two minutes later and Jalal was in the action for another reason, coming to the rescue and getting a vital hand on an effort from Craig Westcarr.

And it was a crucial intervention as Bournemouth scored a third just moments later.

The lively Liam Feeney played in Pugh and despite Nelson doing well to smother; the ball fell to Anton Robinson who had the easy job of slotting into the vacant net.

The game may have seen dead and buried then by Craig Short's men hit back almost immediately on the half hour.

Westcarr crossed the ball into Ben Burgess who got across his defender and flicked home in off the far post to give the visitors a foothold in the game.

Eddie Howe's men may have been forgiven for coming out in the second half and sitting on their lead but the hosts stormed out of the blocks much like the first half.

Marc Pugh got away down the left before cutting inside and dragging his effort inches wide from long range just 90 seconds after the re-start.

It then turned into the clearing off the line story as both sides were denied goals within a minute of each other.

Pugh turned his man brilliantly down the left before delivering a cross that Nelson just managed to get a hand to but the ball fell to Liam Feeney who slammed a shot that look destined for the back of the net but for Graeme Lee to clear brilliantly off the line.

Then just a minute later, it was Lee who rose highest to send his header goal-bound but for his effort to be cleared off the line by Anton Robinson.

As the Magpies threw men forward for the cause they were leaving gaps with Feeney exploiting their back-line with his pace but choosing the wrong option in shooting from distance.

With half hour to go Ben Davies was brought down on the edge of the area with Davies picking himself up and fired in a powerful free kick that was expertly handled by Jalal.

And it was Jalal who was again called on as Jon Harley weaved his way through a couple of challenges before getting his shot away that was very well saved by the Bournemouth 'keeper high at his near post.

The visitors gave themselves a glimmer of hope in the last minute of normal time as substitute Jake Jervis' effort came back off the inside of the post before Westcarr finished coolly into the far post from the rebound.

And the comeback was capped deep into added time with Kevin Smith the hero for the Magpies.

Smith was played in and showed a calm head to slot under the otherwise faultless Jalal to earn Notts County a share of the spoils.

It was virtually the last kick of the game but it means that the Cherries are now unbeaten in three league games and unbeaten at Dean Court this season.

    Latest Match Reports