Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Apr 17 at 15:00 PM

Report: Tottenham Hotspur 4-0 AFC Bournemouth

Title-chasing Tottenham Hotspur had too much for AFC Bournemouth as the Londoners recorded a 3-0 win at White Hart Lane.

Mousa Dembele gave Spurs the lead within the game's first quarter with a low finish, Heung-Min Son's strike minutes later handing the hosts a second.

Harry Kane made it three at the start of the second period, the Cherries unable to get on the score sheet in north London ahead of Vincent Janssen's stoppage-time fourth.

There was just one change to the Bournemouth starting line-up from the match with Chelsea, Junior Stanislas coming in for Ryan Fraser to make his first appearance since January.

Spurs used possession well from the start and after a succession of early corners Harry Kane forced Artur Boruc into a good close-range save, though the flag was already raised for offside.

The Cherries began to grow into the contest though Boruc was soon diving to his left to keep out a powerful Dembele shot from just outside the box.

The early home pressure counted after 16 minutes as Tottenham took the lead.

A left-sided corner was swung in but not anticipated by the visiting backline with Dembele in space to take a touch in the box before burying a low show past the stranded 'keeper.

Within three minutes the lead was doubled as Son struck, feeding off a Kane lay-off to finish smartly under the charging Boruc from an angle.

Steve Cook headed a corner over for Bournemouth before Stanislas' whipped-in low cross was just inches ahead of Benik Afobe as the away side looked for a way back into the game.

With ten minutes left in the half Boruc was again called into action, the former Poland international down quickly to parry away Christian Eriksen's effort.

The Dane soon blasted a volley over the bar as the hosts continued to threaten, though the lead was  limited to two goals before the half-time whistle.

Hopes of a second-half turnaround were cast into further doubt just over two minutes after the interval as Kane scored Spurs' third.

Deadly in the penalty area, the England striker turned past his man and placed a low shot past Boruc.

Kane was soon at it again, pouncing on Eriksen's ball to strike, but seeing his shot saved down low by the Bournemouth 'keeper.

Lewis Cook replaced the injured Jack Wilshere on 55 minutes, a first Premier League appearance for the 20-year-old midfielder since the opening-day match with Manchester United.

After Lewis Cook had burst through but seen his dribble taken away from him Kane and the Eric Dier tried their luck with shots.

For Bournemouth, Stanislas cut inside from the right but saw his low shot blocked while at the other end Boruc saved from Eriksen's 20-yarder.

The Cherries committing more men forwards, Charlie Daniels' shot tested Hugo Lloris' handling, before Spurs full-back Ben Davies did likewise for the home side.

Despite the scoreline, it was the 2,400 Cherries fans in the away end continuing to out-sing the home faithful, though the away side were struggling to make meaningful inroads. 

In the closing stages the game appeared to be petering out before substitute Janssen rounded off the afternoon in goalscoring fashion for the hosts, finishing from close in at the second attempt.

    Latest Match Reports